Pages

Thoughts for the Journey

Welcome to my journey! Perhaps you'll find some encouragement, laughter, or just a thought as you walk along with me.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Brooms ~ Part 3

Those of you who have been following my blog for awhile now will find the following significant:

My (new) co-worker asked me the other day, "Could you please buy a broom for your house?"

That's right.

A broom!

Not a mop. Not a bucket. Not a set of dishes. Not a bed. Not anything except for the one household item I've blogged about that has been the source of much contemplation and reflection- a broom.

I don't find it a coincidence at all! In fact,  I almost look at it as a huge (and slightly humorous) confirmation for my female heart that we are headed exactly where He planned for us to go, long before I even blogged about brooms. It's almost another "I am with you!" from the Lord.

You see, we are moving into an existing work. We will be the third missionary family to move into this little house. Because of that, the house is reasonably equipped with some kitchen and household supplies. Not everything, as some things have deteriorated, been sold, been passed around, or disappeared over the last decade. So we are bringing some things with us, yes. But one of the things that disappeared recently was my co-worker's broom! While they were recently on home assignment in the states (furlough), their broom 'picked up and walked away'. (Theft is a sad and sadly common reality in this location, and many other tribal locations.) So after they returned to the tribe, she needed a broom, and there was a decent one in the empty house (soon to be OUR house), so she is now using that one. This is what led her to ask me to buy a broom.

I did smile when I read her request, and I'm happy to buy a broom. I believe it speaks to my heart at just the right time. The work we are joining has a clear role for my husband- discipleship of men. My role is not AS crystal clear anymore - I simply mean in comparison with our initial thought of starting from 'ground zero' in a new church planting work. I had imagined and become prepared for teaching literacy, being involved in initial translation, and being ready to disciple new believers. While some of that is definitely still an option and a need, going into an existing work changes the details. Literacy may or may not be a need for some time. Translation is still needed, but it is well underway by one of our co-workers. I will hopefully have the opportunity to disciple new believing ladies, but there are several current believing ladies who are now being discipled by our other co-worker. I will be able to join in once we've learned the language. But it all sure looks a bit different than I had anticipated!

Sometimes after I've been sweeping for awhile, the broom collects all sorts of hair and fuzzies, and doesn't sweep as sharply as I'd like it to. And sometimes that causes me to wonder if I'm accomplishing anything, or if I should just let someone else do the job. But I know that the Lord doesn't look at anyone else's work as He looks at mine. He's not 'up there' comparing me with the next woman and her broom. His eyes are ever on ME when He looks at ME. We are the ones who compare against each other. If my path or my role in church planting seems full of fuzzies to me, it's a clear reminder to me to fix my eyes sharply on Him, the One who has marked out my path before me. It is HE who will build His church, not me. I am simply called to be faithful. I am called to build into my marriage with lasting materials. I am called to parent my children with lasting materials. I am called to invest in others with lasting materials. His goal for me is not that I "accomplish", but that I know Him intimately so that He Himself can overflow out of me.

I am not sure in what specific ways He will use me. But I am sure that He will use me. And I am even more sure that He wants me to know Him. And so I will throw away the hair and fuzzies at the end of the broom, those discouraging doubt-blobs, and keep moving forward in knowing and loving Him each day, trusting that He will make the path clear before me in His perfect way and timing. ... I wouldn't be surprised if much of it is hindsight, turning around to see a beautiful, well-kept reflection of the King. "And you thought all that sweeping each day was worthless?!"

(...and yes, I will be putting names on the handle of my broom, as I mentioned before. I'm excited for the extra reminder to pray for you and think of you!)

1 comment:

  1. I love all that the Lord has been teaching you during your time in PNG, Lisa! He is doing good, good things in your heart!

    ReplyDelete