Pages

Thoughts for the Journey

Welcome to my journey! Perhaps you'll find some encouragement, laughter, or just a thought as you walk along with me.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Losing Earrings and Such...

It was a sad moment. I heard the earring hit the railing, and knew instantly it was gone. I looked down from the high balcony and watched it float gracefully down into the still water below and create a tiny ripple. As it fell, I chose to laugh. Why not. :) There was nothing I could do to change the situation anyway.

Feeling creative, I considered that perhaps a bird or fish might ingest it, choke on it, and end up floating dead in the marina. Passengers are prohibited from discarding things overboard, so I thought maybe the cruise line would be sued by an animal rights activist... and in the midst of it, I'd submit a request to see if my earring had been discovered in the dead animal's carcass...?

Anyway, other things were lost on a recent vacation, some of which were found.

But it sure causes me to weigh the value I place on my belongings. My value of things in regard to other people. My value of things in regard to my purpose in life. My value of earthly things in regard to eternal things. My responses and reactions reveal to me much of what is in my heart.

My heart fluctuates on a daily basis when it comes to this topic. Does yours? On good days, it is easy for me to get rid of things as we prepare for PNG. On not-so-good days, I want to take more things overseas, or store things, or simply feel selfish about them.

I feel anxious for winter to turn to spring- I feel that the change of weather will allow me to clear out so much of our 'stuff' that we won't use again or see again. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying each day with these things. I believe this is Paul's point when he wrote "use the things of the world, but as if not engrossed in them." He didn't indicate that we should practice asceticism (denying ourselves of things to "be lowly" or to punish ourselves). He implied that we should use them, but with an open hand. Ready to let them go at any moment! Enjoy them fully! But be ready in your heart to toss them aside without a second thought. :)

So for the most part, I am enjoying this season of purging of our belongings, and I feel very ready in that respect for what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment