Pages

Thoughts for the Journey

Welcome to my journey! Perhaps you'll find some encouragement, laughter, or just a thought as you walk along with me.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Piles and Puddles

Shortly after arriving in Oklahoma last weekend, Jocie developed a decent fever. Before she fell asleep that night, she threw up. All over both hers and her sister's bed. I cleaned her up and made a pile of all the affected sheets, blankets, and clothes. As she stood shaking and crying, suddenly she peed down her legs and was standing in a puddle. :( then as I was cleaning her again, suddenly she screamed that she needed to poop. Oh dear. So I ran her to the bathroom (in time thankfully). It was just one thing after another! Finally got her washed and in bed. Until 2:30 when she threw up again and the next pile of soiled laundry began. Poor thing.

But I was just talking with a friend last week about how "strange" and difficult it can seem that the various troubles in our lives pile up rapidly on top of one another until we are tempted to feel overwhelmed. Well and let's face it, often we are overwhelmed! (That is a good time to have a solid Rock on which to stand!) For her, it was months of her children facing various illnesses and concerns, and vehicle troubles, and near-conflicts with their home, etc. 

But it seems in my life that there will be a season of seeming quiet, peace, rest. Then I will wake up one morning and find something out of place. By the end of that "day" (season) there are many things gone wrong. Why does it have to be this way, I wonder? I feel like one obstacle is enough at a time. Why must I have several?

Interestingly, I found myself reacting to poor Jocie's string of events with smiles. Maybe smiles of disbelief... But still, my heart felt happy for some reason. My face was not smiling, because who likes cleaning up (and smelling) (and having your clothes and hair and freshly painted fingernails smelling) vomit? And pee? And who likes seeing their child so miserable and crying and filthy? It is not a pretty picture.

There is no joy in circumstances like that. But there is ALWAYS joy in the heart that is captivated by Jesus. Do we always experience that joy? No. :( but He says that if we remain/abide in Him, we will know the fullness of His joy.

I think this was a moment that I chose to be in Him and so my heart had gladness in spite of the pile of odious laundry and the puddle of pee.

I wish I would always respond this way. But I find myself giving in so easily to my feelings and expectations. I hear The Lord asking me, "When will you stop allowing your circumstances to shape you?"

I think I need a different kind of pile to look at when the painful or difficult experiences of life begin to pile up. The Israelites built an altar of remembrance to The Lord and placed memorial stones in the Jordan. They looked at these "piles" and remembered that God had always been with them and always been faithful. Maybe I can have my own. Maybe I need a little mini rock pile in front of my kitchen sink or somewhere I will see it often to remember His faithfulness and His presence. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment