Pages

Thoughts for the Journey

Welcome to my journey! Perhaps you'll find some encouragement, laughter, or just a thought as you walk along with me.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fallbacks

Learning another language is exciting!! Well, it is to me, anyway. 
But there is an element to it here in my home country that makes it infinitely easier and tremendously less embarrassing: I can fallback at any time on the English language! 

As I asked my Cherokee language helper repeatedly, "can you say that again?" And "what is this?" And described scenarios about people 'doing' various activities so she could say the phrase in Cherokee, I realized how easy I have it now. When we learn a tribal language, we will have no fallback on English. 

Having fallbacks is a blessing I undoubtedly take for granted! In our country, we always have options, even when things go downhill. For just about anything!

Need some groceries I forgot or ran out of? I can run to the store any time.

Too hot outside? I have air conditioning (praise The Lord!)!

Have a medical problem arise? I can easily get to the doctor or hospital!

Need help with ____? I can call on any number of people. 

Too tired to cook? Frozen premade meals or "let's go out!"

Want to get away? Family or friends are around to babysit! Not to mention the many arenas of entertainment available to us!

The interesting thing for my heart and mind to process is the upcoming reality is not having ANY of those fallbacks. I'm thankful for the training and equipping we've received, which has helped us simulate and process some of these realities. We've learned about what to do when illness or injury happens. We've practiced a few weeks of cooking everything from scratch and shopping once for that time. 

But practice or not, it comes down to my heart, my attitude. The apostle Paul talked about learning to be content in any and every situation. That doesn't mean I need to deny that a situation is difficult or frightening. But what is my reaction and my response? 

I wonder, am I reacting like a child who trusts her Father? Or like an out-of-control pony who just got stung in the bum by a bee?

Lord, teach my heart to be content!

No comments:

Post a Comment