Pages

Thoughts for the Journey

Welcome to my journey! Perhaps you'll find some encouragement, laughter, or just a thought as you walk along with me.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

When Life Gives you Tang...

Alright, did anyone else have a flashback to children's Sunday school just now? I remember sitting in my little chair waiting for my little Dixie cup of orange Tang and a short stack of Ritz crackers. :)
Childhood aside, I have no palate for Tang anymore. I'm not a person to spend my energy trying to avoid all artificial sweeteners, but I simply don't care for Tang.


But sometimes things come up in my life that perhaps I don't prefer. Or that I was not expecting. Or maybe things that offer the promise of sweetness but only leave me disappointed or nauseated later. 

I feel like I should be used to this by now. So I have to laugh when I catch myself thinking that something will go according to our plans, or hopes! Ha!

Well to be fair, there are times when things do turn out as we imagined. The "trick" lies in our expectations. Are we able to roll with ever-changing circumstances? Or are we still stuck in the infantile way of screaming and thrashing about when the waves come?

When "life" gives me unexpected Tang (preferably orange), what is my response? Am I 'man enough' to drink it? Do I trust that The Lord has my well-being in mind? Or do I believe that when MY plans change that HE has left me? 

What is more, I believe that even if I must drink some Tang (preferably not pineapple), that He would have me refresh the whole of my being with water. The pure water of the Word. And this is a water source that is always available to me. It never runs dry. It always fulfills. It never disappoints. It fully quenches. And it delights my soul.

Recently we have been given some Tang.  Elements of our transition to life overseas that we're unexpected. Happenings back home that have an unpleasant taste. Decisions about our immediate future that have been challenging to swallow. 

But even with times of heartache, we are finding water! We are finding that The Lord is faithful - He is ever present, ever leading and guiding, and never far off.


I feel like this lifestyle offers us ample opportunities to taste Tang (mango?), and ample opportunities to find Him faithful!

Because The Lord is at my right hand, I will not be shaken! 

No comments:

Post a Comment