Pages

Thoughts for the Journey

Welcome to my journey! Perhaps you'll find some encouragement, laughter, or just a thought as you walk along with me.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

They Bowed, Set Aside, and Gave

A couple nights ago as I was reading to the girls from the Bible before bed, I found myself becoming a little teary-eyed. This is what I was reading to them:

"The three men knelt before the little King. They took off their rich royal turbans and gleaming, golden crowns. They bowed their noble heads to the ground and gave Him their sparkling treasures." (From the 'Jesus Storybook Bible')

The wise men recognized that this baby, this young child, was the promised Rescuer- the Deliverer! Not of Roman oppression, but of all sin. Not only so, but they recognized Him as the King of heaven, the Son of God. 

They knew who Jesus was. And they understood the implications of His presence, His presence among them. His presence in their lives, and the work He would do.

And their response?

They bowed down before Him. 
They emptied themselves, loosed themselves of their royal "bling".
They considered everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of KNOWING Christ Jesus. 

And they gave Him ALL of their gifts. ALL of their treasures. They gave their all to Him- so that He might be glorified. And so that His work might be done!

This is what the passage does NOT say:

And they opened their gifts. The wise man with gold reached in and took out a small portion, saying "look, I'm still managing my assets and liabilities. But here's some of what I have, I hope it will help!"

The wise man with the frankincense reached in and pulled out a quart size ziploc with a 3oz travel bottle of frankincense and handed it proudly to Jesus, and closed up the big bottle so it wouldn't spoil.

And the wise man with the myrrh reached in and - "well we've done a lot of research on You, but just to make sure You are really who we believe You to be, here's my business card. If your life is in danger give me a call so we can make sure your affairs are in order. And here's a little sample sachet of my finest myrrh."
.........

Anyway, all "humor" aside, I was struck as I read the (real) passage, by how completely the wise men believed, trusted, bowed, emptied, and gave ALL to the King in their midst.


This really isn't about financial giving. This is about the giving of myself, and the willingness to let go of 'extra' or let go of 'status'. The giving of the talents and abilities He has given me. And yes, sometimes (often) the giving up of things. Sometimes that means using them specifically and purposefully. Other times that means exercising the freedom to set them aside for a time when I'd much rather be using them. (After all, don't I WANT to lay all things before His feet? Doesn't my heart soar at the thought of 'laying down my crowns at His feet'?)

But I find myself too unlike the wise men. I don't bow all the way down- maybe I put one knee down but stay poised to jump back up at a moment's notice. I get rid of some things in life, but feel attached to other things. I don't take time to give to someone else fully, because I convince myself that I'm already overwhelmed with my own agenda.

Can't I learn from these wise (yes wise!!!) men, that it is good and safe and worth it to throw everything aside and worship only the King in my midst (for indeed He is with us, until the end of the age!)? And can't I learn from the apostle Paul that it is worth it to 'lose all things' for His sake?

What on earth (pun intended) am I clinging to?!?!



No comments:

Post a Comment