Pages

Thoughts for the Journey

Welcome to my journey! Perhaps you'll find some encouragement, laughter, or just a thought as you walk along with me.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

I'm an Environmentalist

As much as I've tried to deny it, I've realized that I am indeed an environmentalist. I care SO deeply about my environment. In fact, an unfortunate truth about me is that when my environment is not just right, I am tempted to be discontent.

If I am too hot, my spirit wants to grumble about the heat.

If I am too cold, my spirit wants to grumble about the chill.

If my house is out of control, my spirit wants to grumble about my chaos.

If I can't find 'the perfect place' to sit and read my Bible and sip my coffee in the morning, my spirit wants to skip the whole thing.

If the people around me are not what I wish they'd be in that moment, my spirit wants to be what I should not be in that moment.



It is incredibly tempting to let anything and everything around me control my mood, my emotions, my thoughts, my life.

Several months ago, I had envisioned a perfect weekend. In my mind, I had figured out how it would look and what would take place. Oh yes, I allowed wiggle room, knowing that it wouldn't look quite that way. But I figured it would be close, because what on earth could come in the way of it?! WRONG!! The weekend quickly fell apart, hour by hour, day by day. Throughout the weekend, I lost inner strength and found myself crying out to the Lord, asking what was going on. He directed my heart to many things in His Word, but I 'sensed' this question most of all:


"When are you going to stop letting your circumstances define your days?"

Over and over this question has pressed upon my heart. It is easy to let my circumstances determine my thoughts, feelings, and behavior. 

The life we are stepping into in the next few months will be beyond filled with twists, turns, challenges, and unexpected circumstances. The Lord is giving me ample opportunity to learn to let HIM define my days rather than these circumstances. I'm not saying I'll "arrive". But will I learn more and more to fall into Him instead of fall to pieces when things change? May it be so! And may I learn to walk confidently and joyfully in Christ whether or not "my environment" is just how I desire it...

No comments:

Post a Comment